Good food, good drinks, better people. That pretty much sums up last night. A combination of old friends and new friends came to celebrate a homecoming and we did so with Fat Tire, a couple gems of merlots, including The Velvet Devil from Washington, only $13 with a really nice flavor, and, in a veteran move, finished with a shot of tequila for dessert, well, that wasn’t the only dessert.
In a classic move, I started and ended the meal with a bang, with some savory flavors in between. Because of the rave reviews from the first time I debuted my Salami Bruschetta (click on the name for the recipe) and the ease of preparing the appetizer, it was a natural choice to open the dinner. To close, that took a little more thought, but not too much. After all, I love fresh fruit for dessert and I knew there were going to be five women joining me at the dinner table so that pointed towards something with chocolate. Not to stereotype, but ladies love chocolate. I decided to make chocolate-dipped strawberries with chocolate drizzle with a liqueur-infused whipped cream. What I loved about this dish other than the amazing flavors were the different textures, the hardened chocolate on the outside with perfectly ripe strawberries and a fluffy kick from the whipped cream. I recently learned that a similar item sells at many bakeries, candy shops, and other places of business for $1 or more per strawberry, but you can just make yourself dozens for a fraction of the cost in less than an hour’s time. Enjoy.
The result: 30-36 chocolate covered strawberries with a chocolate drizzle and homemade whipped cream
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries w/stems on top
- 4-6 ounces semi-sweet milk chocolate chips
- 3 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp. your choice of liqueur (I used Bailey’s)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1-2 drops vanilla extract
Melt your chocolate either in a heat proof bowl over boiling water or in the microwave on half power for 2-3 minutes, stirring after each minute. Rinse the strawberries and pat very dry so the chocolate will stay on the surface. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip the strawberries one at a time in the milk chocolate, twisting off extra. I dipped in one side so I could lay the uncovered side on the baking sheet. Then, by dipping a fork in the white chocolate, twist the fork to drizzle the white chocolate over the dipped strawberries. Set the strawberries in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes so the chocolate hardens. I made about 75% milk chocolate-dipped with white chocolate drizzle and the remaining 25% the opposite way around. I also used an organic white chocolate that had a distinct vanilla taste. While the strawberries rest in the fridge, combine your cream, liqueur, sugar, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Whip the cream until it sets and can hold its form, or to desired consistency, about 5-10 minutes by hand. Really make sure to fold the cream to get air for it to properly whip. When the chocolate has set, dip the strawberries in the whipped cream and now you will never have to pay $1 for a single chocolate-dipped strawberry!